Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

[VAWT] Awarded!

So I wrote applications for a competition for bachelors thesises at Chalmers University of Technology, called Bachelors Challenge.  After passing two steps of selection, we got to present our concept in front of a public audience and a jury consisting of representants from Chalmers and various companies, including the internationally famous Ångpanneföreningen. We competed in the category "Green Initiative and Sustainable Development".

Madeleine, another person from our six person team and I held the presentation. Competition was hard. One of the competitors for instance presented a concept for converting plant matter that is wasted today into useful plastics.

To our help Jens and Madeleine, from our  group consisting of six persons, built a model of the windturbine. As we couldn't find a suitable source of wind we decided to spin the turbine with a DC motor instead. Then we used my previously designed software to make an onscreen live demonstration of the performance, with and without the maximum-power-point tracking algorithm that was designed. Below is a picture from this part of the demonstration.  I'm the guy in the middle. 

Demonstrating the equipment live

We used the exact same electronics that I designed as for the real two meters high turbine. It measures the actual electrical power. It was kind of challenge to get everything finnished for the presentation, as we had to hand in the final report just a few days before the competition. However, with the investment of quiet a lot of hours everything worked out fine. We had just about  a minute to carry out the table with all equipment and get it to work, after the preceding group had done their presentation.

Other keypoints of the demonstration were possible applications, were we proposed the use in development countries. Here, empty kerosene barrels could be turned into savoniusturbines. Instead of using expensive and unhealthy kerosene for illumination as still is a common case, savionusturbines and LED's could be used. Our research and calculations showed that it would be a lot lot cheaper. 

We won a check worth around 2000 euros

Afterward there was a break, and the jury summoned to decide the winner. What a moment when that turned out to be us! The night went on to a delicious three-course dinner.  It was a great project with a great group and I learned a lot. 

After that, I went on an exchange semester abroad and haven't been able to continue on this project. However, the turbine was left logging data on an SD card, and I'll try to mine out some important results when getting home again. 

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

[VAWT] Plausible improvements of the Savonius windmill

Cut a barrel in half, mount it on a shaft and you have a windturbine. If the barrel is used, then what else probably would end up on a scrap heap is instead used for converting renewable energy.

Simplicity and low cost makes this an attractive option especially for societies with limited economy and a malfunctioning or non existing electric grid. Small off-grid electrical networks can be built and people who perhaps most needs electricity get that. Isn't that neat?


Savonius (from http://solarvan.co.uk/savonius)

An overlooked potential?
The Savonius though has a widespread reputation of having low effiency and is often dismissed as a credible option around forums and in formal litterature. However, when looking at the graph below from a publication Wortman did 1983, the effiency can be realtively high provided that the TSR(Tip-to-Wind-Speed-Ratio) is held at a correct value and the windmill should work quite nicely. In practice this could probably be done by controlling the generato…

[VAWT] Affordable wind measurements

The shop Clas Ohlsson in Sweden sells a spare anemometer for the  WH-1080 weather station for a hobbyist friendly price around 15 euros. This anemometer can probably be found in other countries too.


The WH-1080 spare anemometer

Here  you can read about how to use this anemometer together with an Arduino or any other embedded system.  As we couldn't find any data on the characteristics of this sensor, we did our own calibration in a wind tunnel and the results are presented in the report above. This anemometer was used in a Bachelors Thesis project related to the devlopment of optimization of the Savonius Turbine, here tagged [VAWT].

Guide: Get more distortion from an HCM65R amp

I got my hands on an HCM65R guitar amplifier. It's an okay amp I guess, if anything it's loud enough to rise a mob against you even if you live off in a rural area. But, something that's been bothering me and many fellow reviewers it is that it lacks distortion. For me it's usually enough for blues but some palm muted metal, like Into the void with Black Sabbath, comes out a bit soft.


As both of the volumeknobs were broken I took the amplifier apart and started thinking about a way how to get this loudly purring kitty to growl like a beast. When taking it apart I saw that the PCB is really old school with large components placed with a lot of space between them. So, hack friendly! I found out what to change and how, tried and it worked. Check the video below to hear how different it got.

Demonstration I play some random stuff with and without the modification and I think that the difference in tone is very clear.


How to do it This is for you who knows how to solder and…