Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

The heating system

One of my former projects was the design and practical realization of an automated wood fired heating system. Two key characteristics of the project were the reuse of junkyard bargains and realization of electronic system starting from component level. Budget was kept low.

The system is now warming a house situated on a farm on the Swedish countryside.
 I for sure have never done a project spanning so many different categories of work. In the end I had done manual metal work and welding, plumbing, electrical installation, creation of control- and calculation algorithms, circuit design and programming to name some.

A box on the upper floor of the house with an Atmega328 microprocessor controls the whole heating 
system.  

Here is a video summary of the project:



Systems furnace is a Braland 21 from http://www.braland.se

The control system that is now up and running can among other things monitor 16 different temperatures, control all the systems pumps and do different kind of logging.

Check this PDF if you are interested in further details:

Creation of an automated heating system PDF

Download the PDF and view it offline because Google's online viewer reduces the graphic quality of the document. 

Comments and questions are appreciated. 


Kommentarer

  1. Lenny här: hur reglerar man trycket när vattnet blir för varmt i tanken? jag förstod det som att tanken är kopplad till element i huset, är vattnet kopplad till en vattenledning då? för jag antar att man sänker temperaturen genom inflöde av kallt vatten? mvh

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Hello Lenny I reply in english as this conversation perhaps would interest English speaking readers :) There are mechanical safety valves installed that open when the pressure goes to high.
      The radiators are connected to a closed system, meaning that the water is just recirculating. However if the water level for some reason goes low or the system needs to be refilled, the system is hooked up to the tap water supply via a manual valve.

      Radera

Skicka en kommentar

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

[VAWT] Plausible improvements of the Savonius windmill

Cut a barrel in half, mount it on a shaft and you have a windturbine. If the barrel is used, then what else probably would end up on a scrap heap is instead used for converting renewable energy.

Simplicity and low cost makes this an attractive option especially for societies with limited economy and a malfunctioning or non existing electric grid. Small off-grid electrical networks can be built and people who perhaps most needs electricity get that. Isn't that neat?


Savonius (from http://solarvan.co.uk/savonius)

An overlooked potential?
The Savonius though has a widespread reputation of having low effiency and is often dismissed as a credible option around forums and in formal litterature. However, when looking at the graph below from a publication Wortman did 1983, the effiency can be realtively high provided that the TSR(Tip-to-Wind-Speed-Ratio) is held at a correct value and the windmill should work quite nicely. In practice this could probably be done by controlling the generato…

[VAWT] Affordable wind measurements

The shop Clas Ohlsson in Sweden sells a spare anemometer for the  WH-1080 weather station for a hobbyist friendly price around 15 euros. This anemometer can probably be found in other countries too.


The WH-1080 spare anemometer

Here  you can read about how to use this anemometer together with an Arduino or any other embedded system.  As we couldn't find any data on the characteristics of this sensor, we did our own calibration in a wind tunnel and the results are presented in the report above. This anemometer was used in a Bachelors Thesis project related to the devlopment of optimization of the Savonius Turbine, here tagged [VAWT].

Guide: Get more distortion from an HCM65R amp

I got my hands on an HCM65R guitar amplifier. It's an okay amp I guess, if anything it's loud enough to rise a mob against you even if you live off in a rural area. But, something that's been bothering me and many fellow reviewers it is that it lacks distortion. For me it's usually enough for blues but some palm muted metal, like Into the void with Black Sabbath, comes out a bit soft.


As both of the volumeknobs were broken I took the amplifier apart and started thinking about a way how to get this loudly purring kitty to growl like a beast. When taking it apart I saw that the PCB is really old school with large components placed with a lot of space between them. So, hack friendly! I found out what to change and how, tried and it worked. Check the video below to hear how different it got.

Demonstration I play some random stuff with and without the modification and I think that the difference in tone is very clear.


How to do it This is for you who knows how to solder and…