Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Creation of an ignition system: Introduction

Since I was a kid there has been a small Honda XR75 -1978 motorcycle around that never really have worked for more than around four hours straight. 
One frequent reason of failure has been the mechanical ignition system that has a mechanical ignition advance mechanism. Though kind of neat that this somewhat complicated feature can be realized mechanically, this system hasn’t worked well in practice. 

The mission is to construct an electronic ignition system and then take a ride on a summery day.

Current progress
This project has been going on for a while, so I  skip ahead a little bit and publish material from the current progress. If or hopefully when I get it to work as desired I will probably post a full description of the whole project.

Recently I've mounted a hallswitch underneath the flywheel who's task will be to trigger another circuit I've designed. That circuit in its turn will do more or less the same thing as the mechanical contact-breakers on the original system (main difference that this system will hopefully work).

The hall switch is a switch that is activated by a magnetic field, and has in this case more or less the same task as the ridge on the flywheel on the original mechanical ignition system.



The Honda XR75 engine with flywheel removed and hallswitch in place

 Above is a picture of a side of the Honda XR75 engine, with the left side cover, the flywheel and contact breaker points removed.
 The hall switch is inside the green heat shrink tube mounted with stripes, connected with a lamp cable that proved to be practical and sturdy. The sensor output is surprisingly precise and clean.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

[VAWT] Affordable wind measurements

The shop Clas Ohlsson in Sweden sells a spare anemometer for the  WH-1080 weather station for a hobbyist friendly price around 15 euros. This anemometer can probably be found in other countries too.


The WH-1080 spare anemometer

Here  you can read about how to use this anemometer together with an Arduino or any other embedded system.  As we couldn't find any data on the characteristics of this sensor, we did our own calibration in a wind tunnel and the results are presented in the report above. This anemometer was used in a Bachelors Thesis project related to the devlopment of optimization of the Savonius Turbine, here tagged [VAWT].

[VAWT] Plausible improvements of the Savonius windmill

Cut a barrel in half, mount it on a shaft and you have a windturbine. If the barrel is used, then what else probably would end up on a scrap heap is instead used for converting renewable energy.

Simplicity and low cost makes this an attractive option especially for societies with limited economy and a malfunctioning or non existing electric grid. Small off-grid electrical networks can be built and people who perhaps most needs electricity get that. Isn't that neat?


Savonius (from http://solarvan.co.uk/savonius)

An overlooked potential?
The Savonius though has a widespread reputation of having low effiency and is often dismissed as a credible option around forums and in formal litterature. However, when looking at the graph below from a publication Wortman did 1983, the effiency can be realtively high provided that the TSR(Tip-to-Wind-Speed-Ratio) is held at a correct value and the windmill should work quite nicely. In practice this could probably be done by controlling the generato…

Guide: Get more distortion from an HCM65R amp

I got my hands on an HCM65R guitar amplifier. It's an okay amp I guess, if anything it's loud enough to rise a mob against you even if you live off in a rural area. But, something that's been bothering me and many fellow reviewers it is that it lacks distortion. For me it's usually enough for blues but some palm muted metal, like Into the void with Black Sabbath, comes out a bit soft.


As both of the volumeknobs were broken I took the amplifier apart and started thinking about a way how to get this loudly purring kitty to growl like a beast. When taking it apart I saw that the PCB is really old school with large components placed with a lot of space between them. So, hack friendly! I found out what to change and how, tried and it worked. Check the video below to hear how different it got.

Demonstration I play some random stuff with and without the modification and I think that the difference in tone is very clear.


How to do it This is for you who knows how to solder and…