Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Ignition system: Progress!

I've gotten it to start! The electronic systems had probably been doing their parts correctly for a long time. Problems were in the mechanics department of the engine, where valve clearance was missing. 
That resulted in that the valves never closed correctly and compression was lost. After fixing that, the engine once again gave signs of life just after a few kicks.

 First it didn't want to rev up, so I thought that the carburetor was giving me troubles as it usually does. I tried to move the ignition trig point from around 17° to 30° before TDC (the same as opening the breaker-points on the original system).
The first of the aforementioned points is marked from factory with an “F”, 
17° before TDC, and this is where the pre-ignition is supposed to begin when the motor is standing still. Point number two is the one 30° before TDC,  also factory marked, but without text. Maybe that one marks when the spark is supposed to come when the engine is spinning fast? 
When giving spark at the point  30° before TDC it did rev up again as it hasn't been doing in perhaps ten years.





Above is a video where I test the output from the hall switch and the generator. The spikes that can be sighted once in a while are the pulses that creates the sparks. The square shaped wave is the hall switch output and the other wave is from the generator. 

 Today will be spent on doing some minor adjustments and then take a ride in the sun. Next goal is to make the sensor-less concept work, good thing to save for some rainy days.

Perhaps I should put a little disclaimer here. I’m actually mostly a fan of electric motors and bicycles. This problematic dirt-bike however is kind of an old nemesis to me. Now I will count the hours and see if it will work for more than four hours straight, the last record. :) 








Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

[VAWT] Plausible improvements of the Savonius windmill

Cut a barrel in half, mount it on a shaft and you have a windturbine. If the barrel is used, then what else probably would end up on a scrap heap is instead used for converting renewable energy.

Simplicity and low cost makes this an attractive option especially for societies with limited economy and a malfunctioning or non existing electric grid. Small off-grid electrical networks can be built and people who perhaps most needs electricity get that. Isn't that neat?


Savonius (from http://solarvan.co.uk/savonius)

An overlooked potential?
The Savonius though has a widespread reputation of having low effiency and is often dismissed as a credible option around forums and in formal litterature. However, when looking at the graph below from a publication Wortman did 1983, the effiency can be realtively high provided that the TSR(Tip-to-Wind-Speed-Ratio) is held at a correct value and the windmill should work quite nicely. In practice this could probably be done by controlling the generato…

[VAWT] Affordable wind measurements

The shop Clas Ohlsson in Sweden sells a spare anemometer for the  WH-1080 weather station for a hobbyist friendly price around 15 euros. This anemometer can probably be found in other countries too.


The WH-1080 spare anemometer

Here  you can read about how to use this anemometer together with an Arduino or any other embedded system.  As we couldn't find any data on the characteristics of this sensor, we did our own calibration in a wind tunnel and the results are presented in the report above. This anemometer was used in a Bachelors Thesis project related to the devlopment of optimization of the Savonius Turbine, here tagged [VAWT].

Guide: Get more distortion from an HCM65R amp

I got my hands on an HCM65R guitar amplifier. It's an okay amp I guess, if anything it's loud enough to rise a mob against you even if you live off in a rural area. But, something that's been bothering me and many fellow reviewers it is that it lacks distortion. For me it's usually enough for blues but some palm muted metal, like Into the void with Black Sabbath, comes out a bit soft.


As both of the volumeknobs were broken I took the amplifier apart and started thinking about a way how to get this loudly purring kitty to growl like a beast. When taking it apart I saw that the PCB is really old school with large components placed with a lot of space between them. So, hack friendly! I found out what to change and how, tried and it worked. Check the video below to hear how different it got.

Demonstration I play some random stuff with and without the modification and I think that the difference in tone is very clear.


How to do it This is for you who knows how to solder and…