Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Line follower robot prototype

Before Stockholm Robot Championship 2013 I built a prototype for a line follower robot. The goal was to build something quickly that would be easy to modify, get it to go around the track and then learn as much as possible for a perhaps next version to come. It's the first robot I've built, apart from basic one we built in a project course. 
I tried an Olimexino ARM development board for this project. It's basically an Arduino clone but it's physically smaller and lighter than the Arduino Due board, and cheaper, at least on eBay.
I had slight problems with the drivers on this board. Here are some info about Olimexino drivers that at least helped me:
http://forums.leaflabs.com/topic.php?id=73

 However, when considering the "bang for the buck" Olimexino is still an attractive choice when compared to Arduino I think. 


 I have some stuff laying around in the drawer that I would like to try out on this robot if I choose to continue on it. For instance I would like to evaluate a speed control alghoritm based on torque vectoring, among other things. This is a project that wouldn't be finnished, but contiually developed. 

The sensor array consists of multiple breakout boards with reflex sensors that are hot-glued on to a conventional ruler. It was at least easy to get everything centered :)

Adhesive putty was great for fixating many of the parts on the prototype such as the battery and the sensor array. It was also great for collecting and fixating all the small cables. If you yet haven't discovered it, try it out.

When debugging and diagnosing it became clear that some sort of interface at a higher level is needed. At the moment I'm learning how to make graphic interfaces in Qt, so maybe I make something for a line follower. 







Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

[VAWT] Plausible improvements of the Savonius windmill

Cut a barrel in half, mount it on a shaft and you have a windturbine. If the barrel is used, then what else probably would end up on a scrap heap is instead used for converting renewable energy.

Simplicity and low cost makes this an attractive option especially for societies with limited economy and a malfunctioning or non existing electric grid. Small off-grid electrical networks can be built and people who perhaps most needs electricity get that. Isn't that neat?


Savonius (from http://solarvan.co.uk/savonius)

An overlooked potential?
The Savonius though has a widespread reputation of having low effiency and is often dismissed as a credible option around forums and in formal litterature. However, when looking at the graph below from a publication Wortman did 1983, the effiency can be realtively high provided that the TSR(Tip-to-Wind-Speed-Ratio) is held at a correct value and the windmill should work quite nicely. In practice this could probably be done by controlling the generato…

[VAWT] Affordable wind measurements

The shop Clas Ohlsson in Sweden sells a spare anemometer for the  WH-1080 weather station for a hobbyist friendly price around 15 euros. This anemometer can probably be found in other countries too.


The WH-1080 spare anemometer

Here  you can read about how to use this anemometer together with an Arduino or any other embedded system.  As we couldn't find any data on the characteristics of this sensor, we did our own calibration in a wind tunnel and the results are presented in the report above. This anemometer was used in a Bachelors Thesis project related to the devlopment of optimization of the Savonius Turbine, here tagged [VAWT].

Guide: Get more distortion from an HCM65R amp

I got my hands on an HCM65R guitar amplifier. It's an okay amp I guess, if anything it's loud enough to rise a mob against you even if you live off in a rural area. But, something that's been bothering me and many fellow reviewers it is that it lacks distortion. For me it's usually enough for blues but some palm muted metal, like Into the void with Black Sabbath, comes out a bit soft.


As both of the volumeknobs were broken I took the amplifier apart and started thinking about a way how to get this loudly purring kitty to growl like a beast. When taking it apart I saw that the PCB is really old school with large components placed with a lot of space between them. So, hack friendly! I found out what to change and how, tried and it worked. Check the video below to hear how different it got.

Demonstration I play some random stuff with and without the modification and I think that the difference in tone is very clear.


How to do it This is for you who knows how to solder and…